Thursday, July 16, 2009

Paul Fred Meyer -- RIP

Today was a bittersweet day. We held Paul's funeral today at Grace Lutheran Church. I officiated and Linda Meuller, Grace's Pastor, assisted. It was pretty well attended considering that the temperature was near 100 at the 2 PM starting time. Paul was ready to go, he has been lonely since his wife, Juanita, died two years ago. The end came mercifully soon, he had been hospitalized for 4 days and came home at 9:30 AM on Friday, July 10. He died 2 hours later. I went to see him as soon as they had him settled in his bed. He was semi-conscious when I went in but I held his hand and said, "Welcome Home," his eyes fluttered and he said "So long" and I talked a little more as he dropped into a deeper sleep. Connie called me into the house an hour later saying she thought her dad had died. I went in and his pulse was weak and thready and his respirations were fast and nearly non-existent. Connie and I both said that he could go and I left her to get my prayer book to give him Last Rites and when I returned he was gone.

I'm going to miss him, we've been buddies for 25 years. He was a great neighbor and an even better man. I think we gave him a good send off. So Long old buddy.

No comments: