Saturday, April 5, 2008

Making Sawdust

I've been building a linen closet for my neighbor. It's 7 ft. tall, 4 ft. wide and 18 inches deep. Her first choice was to build it out of Birch plywood, but when she found the Birch costs $68 a sheet she decided that Fir plywood would be just as good. Good choice because the plan calls for 4 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood and 1 sheet of 1/4 inch ply. I hope she likes it when it's finished. It is really heavy, just like the wardrobe I made Char for Christmas. It'll take 3 strong men and a boy to pack it into her house. I have the carcase finished, now comes the face frame. I really like face frame construction and use it whenever I can. I just got a 23/32 in. router bit that works great for cutting dados for the shelves. Since 3/4 plywood is really 23/32's, the dados make a nice tight joint. A heck of a lot easier than using the dado blade on the table saw, especially with a 1/2 sheet of 3/4 ply. I haven't decided on any moulding for it, I guess I'll have to check with her to see what she wants.

As you can see, I've stopped writing about problems of the Church. I just can't expend that much energy on a subject over which I have no control. I'll let the Church leadership handle the problems. For myself, I would just as soon leave the Anglican Communion and let them continue to be homophobic. I wonder if they would turn over their child to the law if the child turned out to be Gay, or maybe they would just call in the neighbors to participate in a old fashioned stoning.

1 comment:

sharecropper said...

My partner makes a lot of sawdust when she's not out training people to enjoy water sports safely. She's made us lots of great furniture. And, she's a verger.