Sunday, April 15, 2007

Making Sawdust

Lately I have been working on a graduation gift for my Granddaughter. She graduates from Northampton Mass. High School in June. Jean and I are looking forward to flying out for the ceremony. In my 34 years of teaching I never missed a graduation, I think that this milestone is an important one for the grads and I think it's important to show your support. Well, anyway I have been building this piece of furniture for her and I have been trying to figure out how to get it from Vale, Oregon to Northampton, Massachusetts. I have this fear that the shipping costs may be more than the value of the piece. It is a puzzler. But, I'm having so much fun building it. I spend hours working the design over in my mind and deciding how to do the next step it's unbelievable. I haven't made any stupid mistakes in the construction except for a few wayward nailgun nails that can be fixed. I love the smell of the Oak and Cedar when I step into the shop, and I sometimes go out just to look at the piece and smell the sawdust. It makes working out on the exercise machine in the shop a lot easier too. I hope she likes it. I'm going to inscribe our names on the bottom when I'm done. Maybe it will show up on Antiques Roadshow 2107 as an example of early 21st century folk art.

No comments: