Wednesday, October 3, 2007

PECUSA

I haven't made any references to all the stuff that's going on in The Episcopal Church because I have been really distressed about all that's happening. I read some of the more prolific Episcopal bloggers on a regular basis and the many comments they elicit and I have this terrible sense of loss. It seems to me that the Church is just like the nation, strongly divided between the liberals and the conservatives. While I guess that's to be expected in politics it seems to me that being a follower of Jesus Christ isn't a case of liberal or conservative. I know that both sides claim that they represent the true Christ, but to me they are both wrong. It seems to me that Jesus made it a point not to join a particular group in his sojourn here on the earth. It seems to me that we spend too much time worrying about what others do or believe and too little time being followers of The Christ. His admonition to us was simple-- love your God and love your neighbor as yourself. That's it. Period. Gene Robinson's sexual orientation is none of my business or yours either. Katherine Jefferts-Schori's beliefs are only important when she tries to impose those beliefs on me. The thing that drew me to the Episcopal Church was the idea that there was room for everybody. What would Jesus do? The better question is what will you do? Will you love your neighbor? Unconditionally? Without judgement?

No comments: