Friday, January 4, 2008

Iowa Caucuses

Well, now it begins in earnest. Instead of political news for 10 minutes of each newscast it will be politics 24/7. I'm not sure I can take it. We don't watch the news on TV much but I listen to NPR so maybe it won't be so bad. I still can't figure out how two small states like Iowa and New Hampshire whose demographics don't come close to the nation's can wield such power. I did see a little TV coverage this afternoon and they almost went so far as naming the final candidates, completely writing off those who didn't win. Have we become such a nation of sheep that we can let the TV news shows tell us how to vote? I figure by the time Oregon has its primary in May there will be no choices on the ballots, just put an X by the name chosen by ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC. Poor old Harry Truman wouldn't have even made the ballot in 1948.

No comments: